Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Video: Secretary Clinton's Remarks With Czech Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg Before Their Meeting

Remarks With Czech Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg Before Their Meeting


Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Treaty Room
Washington, DC
October 6, 2010


SECRETARY CLINTON: Well, let me warmly, warmly welcome back someone with whom I’ve had the opportunity to work for in my tenure as Secretary of State. It is a great pleasure to once again be working – now, I think you’re a first deputy prime minister –

FOREIGN MINISTER SCHWARZENBERG: Yes.

SECRETARY CLINTON: -- Foreign Minister Schwarzenberg. So I’m looking forward to our conversation. Obviously, the Czech Republic is a valued partner and ally through NATO on so many important issues. And we have a lot of work ahead of us, but welcome back.

FOREIGN MINISTER SCHWARZENBERG: Thank you so much. And thank you for the warm welcome. Actually, I’m very happy indeed to be here again. And I believe what has happened (inaudible) is good news, because my government today in the morning decided to send more troops to Afghanistan to help the common effort which we consider important not only for Afghanistan, not only for the United States, but for the whole of Europe, too. And therefore we share a joint process and work together here. So we deploy some soldiers more and that I’m happy to announce it.

Besides of that, of course, with a change of administration, the whole situation has changed in Washington and it’s interesting for me to hear the new views of the Administration, the vision they have for Europe and for the world. And I’m very glad to see again Secretary of State Clinton and looking very much forward to our conversation.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Thank you. Thank you, my friend. Thank you. Thank you all very much.