Friday, June 10, 2011

Secretary Clinton's Remarks at Zambian National Day Reception


Remarks at Zambian National Day Reception


Remarks
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Mulungushi International Conference Centre
Lusaka, Zambia
June 10, 2011


SECRETARY CLINTON: Thank you very much. I’m delighted to have this opportunity to welcome you to this reception. I thank our Ambassador and Minister and Excellencies, all who are here in this very important conference. We are excited about what this means for all of us, and we’re certainly looking forward to seeing the kind of cooperation that we talked about earlier. This is a happy occasion because we decided to celebrate America’s Independence Day, the 4th of July, a little early. (Laughter.)

Both of our countries shook off colonialism and are working to perfect our democracy. And although the United States may have a 200 year start, Zambia is catching up fast. (Cheering. Applause.) And I know how important the upcoming – (cough) – elections are. Excuse me, I talk too much. (Laughter.) And I really appreciate the countries represented here, like Benin and Niger, Nigeria, which just held successful elections, and I’m looking forward to Zambia’s election being very, very good as well.

We are excited about the work we’re doing together, and it is absolutely a pleasure for me to share this reception and this early Fourth of July with all of you. Thank you all and congratulations. (Cheering. Applause.)