Friday, July 31, 2009

Hillary Clinton on the Passing of Corazon Aquino

Statement on the Passing of Filipino President Corazon Aquino


Press Statement
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
July 31, 2009


I extend my deepest condolences to the Aquino family and all the people of the Philippines on the death of former President Corazon Aquino. Cory Aquino was beloved by her nation and admired by the world for her extraordinary courage after the assassination of her husband, and later, during her service as president. She helped bring democracy back to the Philippines after many years of authoritarian rule with a faith in her country and its people that never wavered. Like millions of people worldwide, Bill and I were inspired by her quiet strength and her unshakable commitment to justice and freedom. We join the American and Filipino people in honoring her life and memory.

Remarks on Former Filipino President Aquino's Death


Remarks
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
July 31, 2009
Video Link

QUESTION: Our president Cory Aquino just passed away, would you care to tell us your thoughts about Cory Aquino?
SECRETARY CLINTON: Oh she did? I didn't know that. Oh I am so, so sorry. I wrote her a note a few weeks ago when I heard that she was so sick. I admired her greatly, she was a woman of courage who loved her country. She and her family sacrificed so much to try to give the people of the Philippines a better future and I think that she is an inspiration, not only to the Philippines but to people everywhere who believe in the right values and a positive future.