Thursday, November 12, 2009

Slideshow & Remarks: Secretary Clinton in the Phillipines

The Philippines were hit by ravaging storms that flooded Manila and Marikina, the area she is visiting in these photos. From the looks of the photos, another storm has hit the region. This one is named Hillary. Wow! What a reception! And she looks stunningly beautiful. (My mandatory shallow comment for today).



Briefing on Relief Efforts and Touring of Book Fair


Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Malanday High School, Marikina Flood Relief Site
Manila, Philippines
November 12, 2009

SECRETARY CLINTON: We are very proud to have so many Filipino Americans. And I’m very proud that our militaries work together, the American military and the military of the Philippines, saving lives and rescuing people, and I am very pleased that we could donate so many supplies.

Today, I am pleased to announce that there will be more than $5 million in new relief funds for the Philippines. (Applause.) This new support will help rebuild schools like this one, construct new classrooms, and provide 300,000 books and desks for 15,000 students. It will also help to repair damaged water and sanitation systems to prevent the spread of disease, and it will help to refurbish clinics to provide medical supplies and assistance.

So it is a great pleasure to be here at your school and to see all of you back in school. I know that if I had come here a week or two ago, it would not have looked like this. And so I thank everyone who worked hard to put this school back in such good shape. I also want to encourage all of the students to take advantage of your education, to study hard, to learn as much as you can learn so that you can help contribute to the future of your country.

So I learned a phrase as I was coming through, and what is that phrase? He’s trying to teach me this phrase.

PARTICIPANT: Mabuhay.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Mabuhay. (Applause.) And now we have officially opened the book fair so all of the teachers can start to get new books for their classrooms and for their students. I thank you for letting me come to your school. I congratulate you on recovering from the flood. And I promise you that the United States of America will always be a friend to the people of the Philippines. (Applause.) God bless you all. Thank you very much. (Applause.)