Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hillary Clinton's Remarks on the Earthquake in Haiti & Emergency Number for Americans with Relatives There


I lived, worked, and studied in Haiti for ten years - not as a tourist, diplomat or aid worker - as a local. The epicenter of the earthquake was in my neighborhood - Carrefour. This is breaking my heart. Hillary loves Haiti, Bill loves Haiti, and so do I. I just saw the National Palace - collapsed. I worked and studied right near that. Passed it every day. I am in shock.
Remarks on the Earthquake in Haiti


Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Honolulu, Hawaii
January 12, 2010

SECRETARY CLINTON: Before I begin with this critically important subject about our future in Asia, I want to just say a few words about developments in Haiti. We are still gathering information about this catastrophic earthquake, the point of impact, its effect on the people of Haiti. The United States is offering our full assistance to Haiti and to others in the region. We will be providing both civilian and military disaster relief and humanitarian assistance. And our prayers are with the people who have suffered, their families, and their loved ones.
From the State Department:

Subject: Contact number for American citizens with family in Haiti


The State Department Operations Center has set up the following number for Americans seeking information about family members in Haiti:

1-888-407-4747

(due to heavy volume, some callers may receive a recording). Our embassy is still in the early stages of contacting American Citizens through our Warden Network. Communications are very difficult within Haiti at this time.