Friday, August 7, 2009

Hillary Clinton at Wreath Laying at Memorial Park Commemorating Victims of August 7, 1998 Embassy Nairobi Bombings

Remarks at Wreath Laying at Memorial Park Commemorating Victims of August 7, 1998 Embassy Bombings


Remarks
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Nairobi, Kenya
August 6, 2009


(In progress) not only commit oneself to work in peace among peoples, but to stand as a living symbol against those who favor death over life. The people also with me are the trustees of this memorial. I want to thank all of you. I know that this was a labor of love and commitment, and it was a private sector/civil society mission that has manifest itself in this visible reminder of all that was lost on August 7th, 1998.
I remember with my husband meeting a lot of the American survivors and their families and those who had not survived, and we spent time with each of them. It was so heart-wrenching to hear the stories of loss and pain. And it is heartening to me now to be standing here to see what that loss and pain has been (inaudible).
I appreciate greatly the commitment of the Kenyan Government to partner with us and other nations and peoples around the world against the continuing threat of terrorism, which respects no boundaries, no race, ethnicity, religion, but is aimed at disrupting and denying the opportunity of people to make their own decisions and live their own lives.
So this is for us and my delegation, particularly the three members of Congress who are with me today, an opportunity to renew our resolve, our resolve to do all that we can to ensure that these attacks don’t take more innocent lives in the future, and to renew our commitment to search for peace and reconciliation with all who are willing to turn from the path of violence. And I am particularly pleased that the survivors are here, and I want to thank them personally for the example that they have set.
And I’ve told this young man, who lost both of his parents, but has just done very well in school and is being raised by his grandparents, that I am going to tell President Obama about him, because I want President Obama to know about the incredible courage that you have shown in the years since you’ve lost so much.
So to all of you, thank you. Thank you and God bless you and God bless Kenya.
08-06-09-S-01 08-06-09-S-02 08-06-09-S-03 08-06-09-S-04