Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Joint Press Availability With Bangladesh Foreign Minister Sept. 16, 2009

Secretary Clinton holds a joint press availability with His (sic) Excellency Dipu Moni, Bangladesh Foreign Minister in the Department's Treaty Room.



N.B. I copied the text from the State Department website. I believe it should read: HER Excellency.

SECRETARY CLINTON:
Good afternoon and let me once again welcome Foreign Minister Moni to Washington. I’m very pleased that she was able, along with her husband, to attend our Iftar dinner last night. And I’m delighted to have this opportunity to discuss in depth the issues that are of concern to both of our countries.

As a country with a strong secular and democratic heritage, a record of respect for women, a Muslim majority population, Bangladesh embodies the promise that President Obama spoke of in Cairo. I remember when I visited Bangladesh in the 1990s, and I met many dynamic women in positions of responsibility, and I saw the way that pioneering microcredit projects really invented in Bangladesh – especially through the Grameen Bank – helped women living in poverty gain self-sufficiency and offered them a better life.

I saw the government’s efforts to increase access to education for young girls. I saw Muslim and Hindu women sitting down together to talk about their countries’ future. I was very impressed by the commitment I saw to empowering women, for which Bangladesh has long been known. And of course, it is further emphasized by Dr. Moni’s appointment as the country’s first woman foreign minister. So I am extremely pleased to have her as my counterpart.

And I’m also proud to say that the partnership between our two countries is strong and growing stronger. We are united by shared values, common interests, and a commitment to work together to strengthen democracy, promote economic development, deny space to terrorists, and create a more peaceful and prosperous future.

READ MORE...

Here is a nice article about Dr. Moni's attendance at the State Department Iftar Tuesday night. Dipu Moni joins Hillary's Iftar party
And a lovely picture as well!