Tuesday, September 8, 2009

NY NY: Hillary's Back!

After weeks in Africa, and additional weeks on vacation (during which there was a dearth of available photos), Hillary Clinton, Secretary of State and former U.S. Senator from New York, returned to the Big Apple this morning, and it was a joy to see!

She began her day at the Intrepid Air, Sea, and Space Museum to help kick off a week of celebration of the 400th anniversary of Henry Hudson's arrival in New York Harbor. A replica of Hudson's ship, The Half Moon was part of the show of Dutch ships in the harbor. Mayor Mike Bloomberg was Hillary's co-host to Princess Maxima and Prince Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands.

Remarks At Launching of NY400 Week Marking the 400th Anniversary of Henry Hudson's Arrival in New York Harbor, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Secretary of State, New York, NY, September 8, 2009

(In progress) recognizes the importance of this particular commemoration by not only your presence here, but your interest in these year-long activities. Before we came out, the Mayor and the Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima and Minister (inaudible) and I were all talking, and the mayor made one of his astute observations that if the Dutch paid $24 for New York, that $24 invested 400 years ago could be more valuable than all the real estate in New York. Now I’m glad that they did invest. I’m glad that they took that risk, and I’m very honored to be here to be part of this ceremony.

We just saw the Half Moon sail by. And I think it’s important to just pause for a minute and remember that that is an exact replica of the Half Moon that crossed the Atlantic that discovered New Amsterdam that went up the Hudson, and then returned with 18 sailors onboard. On the return, there were somewhat fewer. But nevertheless, it is a reminder and a visual symbol of the extraordinary courage that it took 400 years ago to cross that large ocean.


Read more...



From there, she made her way to Manhattan Charter School where she watched President Obama's speech with the students and spoke to them as well. It looks like she had a wonderful time with the children.

Secretary Clinton Hosts "My Education, My Future" Event at the Manhattan Charter School, Hillary Rodham Clinton, Secretary of State as President Obama Delivers National Address to Students on Educational Success, New York, NY, September 8, 2009


SECRETARY CLINTON: Good morning.

STUDENTS: Good morning.

SECRETARY CLINTON: I am so happy to be here today. And I thank your principal for that wonderful introduction. And I’m so pleased that I had a chance to be here with you on the first day of school for the Manhattan Charter School. I know tomorrow all the students from PS142 will be here, and this building will just be filled with boys and girls who are ready to learn a lot.

And it is exciting for me to have this chance to come here today to talk with you and answer your questions. Now when I walked in, one of the boys here said, “I have a question for you.” So I hope a lot of you have questions for me because – oh, I see the papers (inaudible). I want to talk with you about what is on your mind.


Read more here...

(LOL! I see papaers!)



Later she returned to Washington D.C. and the hard work of statesmanship. But it was a wonderful morning for New York. Tall ships in the harbor and Hillary Clinton. Sounds like a party to me!