Friday, October 9, 2009

Hillary's "Newark Intervention" on Conan


Video Recaps | Full Episodes | Webisodes

Video Message on the Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien


Remarks

Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
October 8, 2009




MR. O’BRIEN: Folks, as you may know, I’ve been involved in a bit of a squabble with the Mayor of Newark, New Jersey, Cory Booker. (Cheering.) Yeah, it all started last week when I told a joke about Newark. He took offense to the joke and he banned me from Newark Airport. (Laughter.) Yeah, ooh-ooh. (Laughter.) So – it’s where I like to hang out. (Laughter.)
Anyway, in retaliation, I banned him from Burbank Airport, okay? (Laughter.) Then he got mad, he banned me from the entire state of New Jersey. So I got mad, I banned him from the state of California. (Applause.) It’s gotten pretty nasty. Yeah, it’s gotten nasty. This has been going on for over a week now. People have had enough. There’s enough fighting in this world. People want Mayor Booker and I to make peace. But how to do it? How to find resolution?
Well, folks, I received a video message today from someone well versed in conflict resolution, someone who’s imploring us to finally bury the hatchet. Ladies and gentlemen, it doesn’t get any bigger than this.
Take a look.
SECRETARY CLINTON: Good evening, everyone. I’ve been following the ongoing feud between Conan and Newark Mayor Cory Booker with great interest. And by this I mean I haven’t been following this feud at all, but my staff just gave me the gist of it five minutes ago.
As Secretary of State, my job is to strengthen ties and improve relations, whether it be between nations around the world, or between the mayor of a mid-sized American city and the host of a mildly amusing late-night talk show. So I’m here as our nation’s chief diplomat to tell you the top 10 reasons why Conan and Cory should make peace. Oh, right, that is the other show.
So let me just go on from there by saying that the time has come to make peace. Let’s just chalk it up to Conan’s head injury and be done with this whole mess, then you can end this silly feud, and you can go back to what you both do best. For Mayor Booker, that means leading Newark toward a new era of growth and prosperity. For Conan, that means dancing around the stage and making lame jokes about my pantsuits. Thank you. And Conan, please don’t bother me again.