Sunday, April 18, 2010

Don't Fence The Clintons In!

The Clintons want to row their own boat, not bench press. Given the choice, they would prefer to be out navigating the waters rather than closed up in the gym.



This from Jake Tapper:

A Clinton on the Court? Go Younger, They Would Advise

I asked former President Bill Clinton why he isn’t on the short list for a Supreme Court appointment, to follow in the footsteps of President William Howard Taft, the last former president to be appointed to the Court. Clinton told me in my EXCLUSIVE “This Week” interview he would enjoy it, but he didn’t think it would be a good idea, because he’s too old and he’d like to see someone younger on the court. “Because I'm already 63-years-old, I hope I live to be 90. I hope I'm just as healthy as Justice Stevens is. But it's not predictable. I'd like to see him put someone in there, late 40s, early 50s, on the court and someone with a lot of energy for the job. And I don't think that'd be a good choice,” Clinton said.

I asked Clinton about Senator Orrin Hatch’s suggestion that another Clinton, his wife, might be a good choice. The former President said the Secretary of State “would be great at it” and “at one point in her life she might have been interested in it.” But, he added, “she’s like me, you know, we’re kind of doers. We like being out there and doing things, rowing our own boat and making changes we could see happen.” Hillary Clinton turned 62 in October and Mr. Clinton said, if asked, she would also “advise the president to appoint some 10, 15 years younger.”


Read the rest here>>>

Of course left out of the conversation is that fact that, had she BEEN appointed at the age they are both advising, it would have been President Clinton who would have had to appoint her. Can you just hear the caterwauling from the GOP across the years? I mean seriously, what do you think the reaction would have been if he had nominated this woman to the court?
The picture was taken in China in 1995 when she famously and courageously spoke out on women's rights. But I digress. Can you IMAGINE? Can you HEAR it? I can. As for either of them being too old, Ruth Bader Ginsberg was 60 when Bill nominated her.

I think the real key to why they both want to squirm out of any suggestion of them on the court is embedded in this remark:

"But, he added, “she’s like me, you know, we’re kind of doers. We like being out there and doing things, rowing our own boat and making changes we could see happen.”


No, we cannot see either one of them sitting still for that long. Hillary certainly can rock a robe as well as a pantsuit,



but I prefer the powerwalk of last Sunday with the spectator pumps and taupe suit to thinking of her sitting on the bench. I think that is what Bill meant, too.




It was all Bill's way of saying, "Thanks, but no thanks!" (I believe he is speaking for his spunky little wife as well. Too much energy for the bench.)