Saturday, November 5, 2011

Hillary Clinton: A Daughter's Duty

Hillary Clinton Attends Fundraising Event with her mother Dorothy Rodham and her niece Fiona Rodham.
When a parent dies, the siblings come together to perform the sad ritual of making funeral arrangements. There is something comforting in that democratic process. Sometimes, the children are surprised to learn that the parent already had arrangements in place. I suspect that may have been the case with Dorothy Howell Rodham who passed away early last Tuesday morning. She had lived with her daughter in the family's Georgetown residence but was an independent soul who would not have wanted to burden her children with the task at such a difficult time.

As the weekend draws to a close, and the daughter prepares to return to her work week, and a new normal - one without her mother there to greet her after a long, hard day at work - it occurs to me that there is another task to be accomplished. Particularly when it is the mother who passed, that duty always falls to the daughter(s) of the family: dealing with the personal effects.

That house in Georgetown has all of Dorothy's things in it. I know some cynical people, even among Hillary bloggers, who would brush this off by saying that Hillary has plenty of money to pay people to do this wrenching task, but it is one that I believe Hillary and Chelsea would want to do themselves.
When packing the clothing, you run across something, a dress, a coat a blouse, that might somehow fit into your wardrobe even if it does not exactly fit you, and you keep it. I kept some of my mother's nightgowns, and even though she was shorter and stouter than I, one of her winter coats sort of fit. I kept it for years. Wearing it somehow made me feel like mom was hugging me, and I missed her so much. I admired a jacket on a colleague some years ago, and he told me it had been his dad's and wearing it was a comfort. For that, I doubt that Hillary would relegate this job to strangers or servants.

There is also the jewelry which customarily is distributed among female family members and perhaps friends. This is a long, difficult, and taxing task. It is not one that is entered into immediately. For a time, you want to keep the essence of your loved one around and these effects help. But ultimately it must be done, and my mind has been on this today. My heart goes out to Hillary and Chelsea as this duty confronts them, and it breaks thinking of Hillary coming home on Monday night and not finding Dorothy home as she has been all these years.

Mme. Secretary, having been there, I know what you are facing, and I would hug you if I could. There are still, after 16 years, things of my mom's that I cannot let go of. I loved your mom, too. I wish you comfort in the weeks ahead as you adjust to your new normal and consider when the time will be to begin to go through her things. I hope you find a robe, shawl, or coat of hers that can give you a hug from your mom when you need one.