Thursday, December 8, 2011

Hillary Rodham Clinton: Remarks at the Unveiling of NATO Summit Logo


Remarks at the Unveiling of NATO Summit Logo


Remarks
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
NATO Secretary General Anders Rasmussen
Brussels, Belgium
December 8, 2011


SECRETARY GENERAL RASMUSSEN: Chicago is city which inspires, and I have seen that with my own eyes when I visit Chicago, meeting its dynamic people, enjoying its magnificent skyline. Chicago is a city where great ideas are born, as well as great diplomats, like you, Madam Secretary. (Laughter.) And Chicago is a city where many cultures come together, including many cultures of European allies. Chicago is a city built upon diversity and determination. And those values underpin NATO, too. So Chicago is a fitting host for the NATO summit as we endeavor to implement our vision of an alliance ready to tackle the security challenges of the 21st century.
SECRETARY CLINTON: Well, that was so magnificently said, Secretary General. And you’re right, I was born in Chicago. I love the city. I think everyone will not only enjoy being there because of the NATO summit but also the attractions of Chicago. And we are all looking forward to welcoming you. President Obama is very excited about being able to host the NATO summit in Chicago, and I am going to call the mayor, Rahm Emanuel, and tell him he has a new slogan for the city: the city of diversity and determination. I’m sure that he will be pleased to hear that you coined that, Secretary General.
So I join you in warmly inviting everyone to come to Chicago in May, when it is absolutely beautiful, for what will be another very significant NATO summit. Thank you. (Applause.)