Saturday, December 17, 2011

Saturday Night Hillary Encouragement: Tell Hillary We Need Her!

Last weekend I posted this conversation between my friend Rumana and President Clinton as Rumana related it on Facebook.   It took place in the Chappaqua library at  President Clinton's book signing, and Rumana was speaking for all of us.

I said to him hello Mr. President me and my friends want to know if Hillary will run, and I mean in 2012 and not 2016. He paused for a sec. And said she keeps saying no but if she gets enough encouragement maybe she will change her mind.
I said you should go to S4h FB page and see we are encouraging her. He put his hand on my shoulder and said if lot more people encourage her maybe she will run. I said Mr. President we are talking about 2012 please do something. He said she needs to know you are there for her and I said please tell her. ;)
So this weekend again,  Mme. Secretary, we want you to know that we are here for you. We never left you. Here and on my Facebook wall  (the one Rumana told President Clinton to look at) we again are posting our words of encouragement.   We hope you have a chance to read them all.  We are ready.  We have stayed together over four years ... for you

You asked us that question on August 26 2008.  You asked us if we were in it for you or for the people you told us about in your speech.  In a blog that I have since allowed to go defunct  I responded to your question.  This is part of what I said in that post.

There are those who will argue that this denouement was her own doing. Well, I guess it was her fault for running, for reaching out as she did, for listening, for offering hope, for speaking to the issues people put before her, for getting to know so many people, for letting us get to know her, for working so indefatigably, and so cheerfully that 18,000,000 of us voted for her. Worse, so many of us chose her not just by the regular, simple, intellectual method of analyzing platform issues but also because we got to see the real Hillary inside shining out and fell in love.

So when she tells me to ask myself if I was in this for her or for those people she met and told us about, I have to say for both. When she says she'll work her heart out for Obama, I know she means it and has been doing that for months. She asks me to support and vote for Obama, and all I sense are the constraints on her to unite the party. And, you know, if I really thought that would fix things in the country I would do it in a NY minute.

The things that were wrong in the country are even worse now than in 2008.  We are not better off. The people you spoke of in that speech are not better off. We are worse off.   We, who voted for you, knew then that you could fix this country.  You have continued working your heart out for the nation and this administration and are the best Secretary of State I have seen in my life, but we need you on the domestic front.  We love you.  We know you hear us and that we are not invisible to you.