Friday, September 10, 2010

Video: Secretary Clinton's Eid Message

Eid-ul-Fitr


Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
September 10, 2010



Eid Mubarak! Since my husband, Bill Clinton, and I held the first Eid celebration at the White House in 1996, I have enjoyed marking Eid every year. I look forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

And yet, in the 14 years since that first White House celebration, our world has seen unexpected changes and unprecedented challenges. Under President Obama’s leadership, the United States is working to create new partnerships with Muslim communities. We want to build bridges, not only bridges toward peace in the Middle East, but bridges of understanding. We believe we all can work toward a more peaceful and prosperous future, one based on mutual respect and cooperation.

I hosted an Iftar at the State Department, and I invited many young American leaders – young American Muslims. They’re bringing their energy and spirit to solving problems and overcoming traditional boundaries. They are engaging with change-makers around the world. Their energy and enthusiasm gives me great hope for a future filled with greater understanding.

At this time of peace and celebration, I wish you and your family a joyful Eid, and a very happy year ahead.