Monday, June 18, 2012

Hillary Clinton Featured in Foreign Policy Magazine **Updated with a review by Taylor Marsh**

Our girl is the subject of a nice feature article in the July-August issue of Foreign Policy magazine. This is not the first time an article about her has borne this title - one to which I am partial.

Head of State

Hillary Clinton, the blind dissident, and the art of diplomacy in the Twitter era.

BY SUSAN B. GLASSER | JULY/AUGUST 2012



Click here for more on Secretary Clinton's exclusive interview with FP.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton sat down on a plush yellow couch at the J.W. Marriott late on a Saturday morning in early May. The Beijing skyline sparkled, uncharacteristically sunny and smog-free, out the window of her 23rd-floor suite, and she was wearing sunglasses even though we were indoors, "an eye infection," she said apologetically. Clinton seemed surprisingly upbeat, especially considering that just a day earlier, she had come uncomfortably close to a major public rebuff by the Chinese -- much closer, in fact, than anyone yet realized. "It was a standoff," she told me, "for 24 difficult hours."
SNIP
... at the end of our conversation, I asked her thequestion: What would it take for her to run again for president in 2016? "Nothing," she replied quickly. Then she laughed. Even the Chinese, she said, had asked her about it at Wednesday night's dinner, suggesting she should run. They were "saying things like, 'Well, you know, I mean 2016 is not so far away.… You may retire, but you're very young,'" Clinton recalled.
Maybe, I ventured, that's why they had in the end been willing to accommodate her on Chen; they were investing in a future with a possible President Clinton.
She wouldn't answer. At least not for the record.
Read more>>>>

And that last paragraph is, apparently, for the record!  Here is the back story.
On whether she thinks about running for president in 2016: No.
On what could persuade her to run: Nothing. It wouldn't take -- it would take -- there is nothing it could take. I really -- I'm flattered, I'm honored. I mean, God, I had -- I mean, the Chinese were talking about it to me at the dinner Wednesday night, at the small dinner Dai had. Saying things like, "Well, you know, I mean, 2016 is not so far away…. You may retire but you're very young."
I thought I would update with this review of Glasser's interview by Taylor Marsh.  I have to add that I was also irritated by the remark about disdaining her focus on women and development.  Those were her signature issues from the start, and how they are integrated has been her singular message and legacy.  In a similar article early in her tenure an unnamed staffer expressed surprise that she had not adopted a signature issue.  This came at a time when she had already made it abundantly clear what her campaign would be.  I do not always agree with Marsh, but her connection between this attitude and why we have not had a female POTUS is dead on.

Additional reviews by some very heavy hitters can be accessed here.