Sunday, August 5, 2012

Hillary Clinton at the Feed the Future Event in Malawi



Remarks at Feed the Future Lumbadzi Milk Bulking Event


Remarks
Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Lilongwe, Malawi
August 5, 2012


Hello, way back there. Oh, I am so happy to be here. And I want to thank you for letting me come to see what you are doing. The United States is very proud to be a partner with all of you. I want to thank the ministers who are here, the leaders of the Lumbadzi milk bulking group, the citizens, all protocols observed.
For the past decade, the United States has been supporting Malawi’s dairy sector, including this center. And thanks to your work and the support we have given you, Malawi’s milk production has increased 500 percent. Thousands of farmers have benefited. (Applause.) I was delighted to meet some of the farmers and the workers here. And I want to thank all of you. I’m also proud that we see a partnership with PEPFAR, so people can also receive HIV testing and counseling services here.
Now, Malawi and the United States are building on this success. Today I am pleased to announce that over the next three years, the United States intends to invest in Malawi more than $46 million to strengthen the entire agricultural chain. (Applause.) We are also proud to make a gift to this center of this purebread dairy bull – his name is Emanuel (applause) – and a liquid nitrogen network to help farmers throughout the region improve their dairy cattle breeding. As Secretary of State of the United States, I’m very pleased that I could be here to see all of you and to see Margaret’s cow, the technical testing, and the beautiful milk that I just observed.
We want to help agriculture in Malawi get even stronger, so that all the children will have better lives. And I particularly thank the women farmers who are here before me for their hard work, and their families, their husbands, and their children for being part of this successful program. I look forward to hearing more about the success of our support for agriculture here in Malawi.
Thank you, Ambassador. Thank you, USAID. Thank you, Feed the Future. Thanks to everyone in the United States Government who is working with you. But mostly, thank you for doing such a good job. (Applause.)












We gave them a dairy bull named Emanuel!  I LOVE it!