Saturday, February 20, 2010

Secretary Clinton's Remarks on the Passing of Former Secretary of State Alexander Haig

Secretary Clinton always has a kind word to say for her fellow Americans who serve no matter where they stand or have stood on the political spectrum. Secretary Haig was a particularly colorful character in our history. I guess many of us will remember him most for his "I'm in charge," remark as Secretary of State when President Reagan was shot. He was so impressive with that remark that when I heard the news this morning, I had to think hard to remember that it was George H.W. Bush who was Vice President at the time (and actually was, technically, "in charge").





Passing of Former Secretary of State Alexander Haig



Hillary Rodham Clinton
Secretary of State
Washington, DC
February 20, 2010


I was deeply saddened to learn of the passing of former Secretary of State Alexander Haig. He served his country in many capacities for many years, earning honor on the battlefield, the confidence of Presidents and Prime Ministers, and the thanks of a grateful nation. On behalf of the men and women of the State Department, I extend my sincerest condolences to Secretary Haig's family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of them today.